Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Satan’s Wake Up Call


   The alarm sounds, I reach over to my phone as it begins to light up, slide the keypad letting my phone know that “yes” I understand the time has come.  I sit up quickly and before I put my feet on the ground Satan is already whispering in my tired ear his early morning wake-up call.  At first morning sun Satan’s shallow voice reminds me that my plate is too full, and there is no way I will successfully make it through the day.  Satan easily encompasses my thoughts as to how I will miserably fail once again at parenting today.  He boldly points out that I don’t engage enough with each child-that I am not filling their cups up properly, I am not an adequate spiritual teacher, my crafts are more of a “Pinterest Fail” rather than success, my children will be behind in school because I don’t read to them enough!  Like the ticking of the morning clock Satan continues to remind me my parenting is not  sufficient.

 Satan’s relentless chatter continues to dampen the morning light.   As if a continuous marquee were present in my living room running non-stop:  Your house is small and ALWAYS messy, your clothes are not attractive, your cooking lacks flavor, your make-up doesn’t hide that dark spot or that deep smile line, you don’t read enough, you don’t watch the news like you should, and when I think it is all said and done another deflating thought flashes like fireworks on the Fourth of July.  It’s no surprise that Satan sits like a judge critiquing every inch of my womanly body and not once praises me for how I look.  Satan’s cheering has no end.

 My alarm went off many hours ago yet Satan still lingers now resting in the intimate places of my heart. Satan’s eloquent disposition makes me think my marriage is not solid and is lacking important ingredients.  Satan allows me to compare my marriage to others- we don’t laugh enough, talk enough, go on dates often enough, we have nothing in common, there is no spark left!  Satan’s once whisper is now a loud deep nagging ring in my ear creating a feeling of despair for the future of my marriage.

  As the sun begins to descend from the vast sky Satan’s deflating prescence fills the evening air with great fear.  Fear of money is a frequent visitor!  Deeply intertwined with fear comes hours of midnight worry; that planting our first garden seems like a waste of time because we have no clue what we are doing, why blog when there are thousands of women already doing it professionally, each child’s personal challenge at the moment has no answers, and constant self-doubt to name a few.

  The awesome truth is I don’t have to wake up like that!  I can wake up to an all-knowing encompassing God every single day. In order to beat Satan at his wretched game I must have a plan of action-I need to be prepared.  A great way to ensure Jesus is my alarm; I can put bible verses around my home to keep me focused, reminded, encouraged and ready!  Place a verse on my nightstand and before taking that first morning step I can read, Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 or “For the Lord will be your confidence & will keep your foot from being caught.” Proverbs 3:25 Both verses are a great start and a sweet sound that no matter how full the plate, the Lord has already directed my path and there is nothing my feet can get stuck in!

  As I gaze in the mirror at that half asleep messy haired woman I read,  “You will be a crown of splendor in the Lords hand, a Royal diadem in the hand of your God.”  Isaiah 62:3 or  The king loves your beauty…” Psalms 45:11 This world would be a boring place if we all looked the same, He made me and you perfect in His image!  You are gorgeous and unique-you are YOU!

  As I make the walk to wake-up my girl’s (if they haven’t already made their way to me!), I am  memorizing, Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6 This verse is a clear picture that I am a teacher for my children and can’t expect someone else to do the job for me. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 6:5-7 This verse alone encourages me to talk about the Lord in 4 different ways to my children throughout the day, why not start early in the morning?  The Deuteronomy verse from above continues with, “ Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.”  The Bible is telling us to have the word of Christ EVERYWHERE we go, and that my friend is my goal!  Two faithful verses for a child’s room are, Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12  “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

  Hours are spent in the Kitchen feeding my family and we could be reading, So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God,” 1 Corinthians 10:31 That verse keeps my heart attitude in check.  Although I love to create meals and present them to my family, it becomes a bit overwhelming week after week.  Not only do I need the constant reminder to be joyful in all things I also need the reminder of gratitude.  Acts 24:3 does just that, “…we accept and acknowledge this with deep appreciation and with all gratitude.”  While cooking, whether it is an all day preparation, or a quick meal thrown together, I try to remember to give thanks as it is being prepared not just during the family blessing.  I watched Alaska the Last Frontier with my husband weeks ago, and one of the young couples had shot a deer. The wife, while looking at her kill, began to sincerely cry and gave thanks for what it represented.  She was overcome with gratitude because she saw the sacrifice the animal made for her family.  Even though I may not be hunt and gather as in the historical view I can pause each meal and genuinely give thanks to those that worked so hard in order that my family may be fed.


  Can you hear it?  Listen!  Vroom….Vroom!  Yes, that’s right I am in the car yet again!   The car is a bubble-like a secret place that only a select few get to enter. It is also the place I find myself in for countless hours during the week; school drop off, school pick-up, grocery store run(s), activities for the kids, church, errands, play dates, volunteering, etc.   It is the one place I am “STUCK” for a certain amount of time.  It must be fully armored with the Word. After buckling and re-buckling little ones in and out of the car it is easy to feel tired, stressed, overwhelmed, fill in the blank______.  The best remedy for that is getting back into my drivers seat and having these verses speak sweet reminders into my life.  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest,” Matthew 11:28 and/or “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have (perfect) peace and confidence.” John 16:33

   Jesus claims, “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:20  Satan adores a crumbling marriage-he finds great joy in making TWO become ONE.  The Mister and I need to have the following verses readily available!  I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine…” Song of Solomon 6:3  "Be completely humble and gentle; Be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace."- Ephesians 4:2-3  “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."- Mark 10:9
LOVE is an action word, not always just a feeling.  Taking the time to add a few pieces of the bible regarding my marriage around the house will keep Satan taking two steps back rather than forward. 

  Pinterest and other websites are filled with free scripture printable material.  Here is a link from Proverbs 31 Ministries with two beautiful sheets filled with scripture.  I printed these this week, cut them out and taped them by the stove, kitchen sink, on my washing machine, front door frame, our girl’s doors, and all bathroom mirrors.  What an amazing tool!



   Another great way to present scripture to my family is to use a chalkboard.  It can be as simple or creative as you like!  Hobby Lobby probably has some ready to go, or stop by your local hardware store and make your own!  I also like to use Expo or chalk markers on my mirrors! Lastly, my iron sharpens iron friend let me in on a great secret regarding my phone and scripture.  She programs different alarms through out the day with verses from the bible and I am going to do the same, starting with, This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.”  Psalm 118:24

Here is my latest attempt at chalkboard art! 



May your alarm be set for a Jesus wakeup call in the morning!


Kirsi Ingram

 





  

1 comment:

  1. Your love for Jesus is evident in all you do, Kirsi. I'll be taping up those beautiful Scripture cards all over my house today! I'm thankful for this beautiful message and love your heart for others!

    ReplyDelete